What is DCDC?
DCDC stands for Dunlap Community Development Corporation. It was formed in 1991 as a 501(c)(6) organization with the purpose of enhancing the economic environment of Dunlap and improving the quality of life for its citizens. DCDC also works with local government and other institutions in Dunlap to support the development of the Dunlap community in order to sustain and expand business endeavors.
Here is some information on DCDC's areas of focus:
- New Housing
- DCDC purchased the land to develop Pleasant View and Prairie Meadows Estates housing developments. They platted the property and worked with the City to fund new infrastructure. DCDC actively promotes the remaining available real estate to encourage the construction of new housing and migration to our community. Click here to view available housing opportunities including a $1 lot!
- Youth Activities
- DCDC is involved in projects that allow youth access to sports and recreation. DCDC swapped land to allow the best location for Sullivan Fields to be developed. DCDC also participated in the grant writing to fund the ball fields and buildings. The Grants Committee under DCDC is actively applying for grants to fund the addition of a polymeric rubber surface to the basketball court at the Dunlap City Park and add the option of Pickleball.
- Parks and Recreation
- Dunlap takes pride in our two parks - Pleasant View Park and the Dunlap City Park. The City of Dunlap and DCDC Grants Committee recently sought funding for two new bottle water filing stations, diaper changing tables and a new speaker system at the Dunlap Pool. DCDC hopes to add two large shade structures at the Dunlap Pool before the next pool season.
- Learning and Literacy
- DCDC was involved in proposing that a new library facility be developed that allowed the school and community to share the entity. DCDC recently helped fundraise for and facilitate the additon of a StoryWalk at Pleasant View Park.
- Health and Wellness
- DCDC assisted with the vision and planning of the Dunlap Wellness Center, developed as a joint venture between the city and school, created with both public and private entrances to make it dual purpose.
- To rectify the issue of having no medical clinic in town, DCDC donated the land to construct the Burgess Clinic. Additionally, DCDC built a building to allow CHI Health to continue to operate in a safe and modern facility. DCDC purchased the building on Dunlap's main street that was formerly Burgess Health and Pharmacy and helped recruit Community Pharmacy, Family Connections mental health services, Horizon Physical Therapy, and Lambert Family Chiropractic to town.
- Industrial Development
- DCDC purchased land to create Dunlap's Industrial Park and had the land platted. The development began at Toledo Ave. DCDC built a 10,000 square foot spec building and leased it to area businesses.
From Highway 30, DCDC paved the entrance to Sullivan Seed and sold land to Sullivan Supply. They platted lots, worked with the City to create a method to fund the new infrastructure, and got a lift station to reroute sewage due to topography issues. DCDC continuously seeks ways to grow industry in our community.
- Main Street
- Knowing that sustainable communities have attractive, occupied store fronts, DCDC has granted funding for multiple facade updates, assisted business owners in applying for grants that fund projects like tuck pointing, and funded facade recommendation drawings for several Main Street businesses.
When the American Legion building collapsed, DCDC purchased the building and hired a structural engineer to determine salvageability. DCDC then borrowed money to be repaid through TIF funds to restore the building to operation. DCDC sold the building to a local entrepreneur who converted it to two store fronts and five apartments. DCDC helps partner owners of commercial spaces with potential business tenants and then facilitates ribbon cutting ceremonies to celebrate the addition of businesses to town!
- Tourism and Beautification
- DCDC is researching ways to improve both aesthetics and experiences within our community. DCDC started the Dunlap Flower Club, a group of individuals who have worked to unify the look of the flowers planters on main street and the city parks. DCDC is currently assisting the Dunlap Visioning Committee in writing grants. If awarded, the funds will be spent to add a pocket park between the DCDC building and Bonsall TV & Appliance, replace the outdated welcome sign on the south side of town with an LED sign, enhance the streetlights on main street with vinyl banners and hanging baskets, and more!
- DCDC funds, organizes and promotes the annual 4th of July celebration and Winter Shop Hop. The DCDC Events Committee continuously works to improve the processes and experiences of Dunlap's community events. In 2024, DCDC plans to host a Dueling Pianos event.
- DCDC finalized designs for wayfinding signs that point visitors toward public areas. DCDC recently worked with the Dunlap American Legion to get Cemetery and Care Center wayfinding signs added as well as tourism-oriented signs for the Dunlap's Historic Wax Nativity.
If you are interested in donating to any of DCDC's important causes, click here.